Orange Dark Chocolate Scones.
Orange dark chocolate scones are one of my absolute favorite taste combinations and these scones are a cinch to put together. With just a bit of orange zesting, a little chocolate chopping, and a drizzling of sweet citrus glaze, you’ve got yourself an extra special breakfast. The scones are moist yet flaky, and sweet but not overly so. The orange flavor really shined, though it wasn’t overpowering and the dark chocolate complemented it perfectly. I will be making these again, You should make them too! :)
For healthier version, I used fat free buttermilk, unsweetened dark chocolate, also you could replace butter with shortening. And finally used splenda sweetening for the glaze.
Orange Dark Chocolate Scones. Recipe
By March 2, 2013
- Yield: 8
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
Orange dark chocolate scones are one of my absolute favorite taste combinations and these scones are a cinch to put together. …
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and orange zest.
- cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix the butter to the flour mixture
- Make a well in the center, and then add buttermilk and egg.
- Mix all the ingedients do not over mix
- Gently fold in chocolate.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead 5 or 6 times. Pat into an 8” circle and cut into 8 wedges.
- Transfer to baking sheet. Bake until scones are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and let scones sit on baking sheet for a couple minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- While scones are still warm, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together all glaze ingredients until smooth.
- Drizzle the orange glaze over the scones.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Best eaten on the day they are baked.